Friday, July 14, 2006

Obsoletion

Trust me, I'm not oblivious to the war that's breaking out in the Middle East. I've been actively following it for two days. CNN is on in the background as I write. But right now, I've got to butter my bread. Deadlines are weighing down on me, as I have to file a story about a congressional hearing on RFID.

I'll have to post commentary (not that anyone necessarily cares what I have to say) on the Middle East situation later, likely on Sunday. We're heading out of town this eve.

Just one thought though. When the fighting between Israel and the Hezbollah in Lebanon broke out, I felt angered at the idea that Israel would risk so much. Couldn't they take the higher ground? I'm not passing judgement on Isreal, but my knee-jerk reaction was "oh my god, this could escalate to all out war in that region; we have soldiers over there; Middle East instability is so dangerous for the U.S., blah blah). Then I thought how arrogant of me. Our country doesn't like it when others try and tell us what to do with regards to war. How dare we? Yeah, yeah, I'm aware of all the implications and our world role, etc. etc. But still....

Bottom line -- war sucks. for everybody.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about war:

Either war is obsolete or men are.
-R. Buckminster Fuller, July 12, 1895 – July 1, 1983, American visionary, designer, architect, and inventor.

Gotta go.

No comments: